Universal Pictures International (UPI) today announced that with yesterday’s film grosses, the studio has earned more than $1.8 billion at the international box office making it UPI’s biggest year in history. UPI’s success has been propelled by hits such as Les Misérables, ($293 million) Fast & Furious 6($544.4 million) and Despicable Me 2 ($410 million) and also by the solid performance of films like Mama ($75.9 million) and Oblivion ($197.1 million). Currently, UPI has the second and third highest grossing films both internationally and worldwide with Fast & Furious 6 and Despicable Me 2. UPI’s previous record was set in 2012 when the studio grossed $1.794 billion for the year. The studio has 14 films yet to be released by UPI in 2013 including three wide releases and 11 others in select territories.
2013 international highlights include:
- Universal Pictures films dominated the worldwide box office on six weekends in 2013 including Oblivion’s No. 1 opening, Fast 6 which was No. 1 twice and Despicable Me 2 which was No. 1 worldwide for three weeks.
- Fast & Furious 6 opened No. 1 in 65 territories and was Universal’s biggest opening of all-time in 41 of those markets. The film also provided the studio with its highest opening weekend ever at the international box office. Fast 6 is the second highest-grossing film of 2013 and Universal’s second highest-grossing film of all-time behindJurassic Park.
- Despicable Me 2 is the highest-grossing animated film of the year. It opened No. 1 in 41 territories and is Universal’s highest grossing film of all time in 15 of those territories.
- Les Misérables is the second highest-grossing musical overseas and worldwide behind Universal’s Mamma Mia!
- Oblivion opened in the No. 1 spot in 49 territories and was Tom Cruise’s biggest opening of all-time in Russia and Indonesia.
- Mama, a film driven by Universal Pictures International Production group (UPIP) had tremendous success in Latin territories including holding the No. 1 spot in Spain for an impressive three-week period.
- UPI has also had success with its locally-produced productions, including Argentina’s Foosball which has grossed $11.2 million and held the No. 1 position for three weeks in that territory.
Read more about Universal Studios.