Disney Publishing Worldwide and Lucasfilm Ltd. have announced that the fourth annual Star Wars Reads Day on October 10, 2015 will celebrate reading with events across the globe. The force of reading will be strong at over 1,000 regional and international storytelling events featuring a host of exciting literary programming for Star Wars fans of all ages as they gear up for the theatrical release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens on December 18, 2015.
Participants in this year’s events include top publishers around the world, including Disney, Marvel, DK Books, Scholastic, Abrams, Chronicle Books, Del Rey, Quirk Books, Workman, Egmont, Studio Fun, Phoenix International Publishing, and many more. The robust line-up of events will feature Star Wars-themed games and activities, various author-related signings, meet-and-greets, panels, and readings at bookstores, libraries and other venues across the globe in an effort to promote literacy and unite fans of the iconic franchise.
Since the inaugural Star Wars Reads Day in 2012, there have been more than 2,500 events encouraging fans to read the films’ timeless stories, but for the first time, this year’s festivities will also feature titles from the recently released “Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens” initiative, which includes more than 20 print and digital books and comics for readers of all ages.
“We are thrilled to be working so closely with Lucasfilm and our publishing partners in planning this year’s Star Wars Reads Day” said Jeanne Mosure, senior vice president and group publisher, Disney Publishing Worldwide. “The growth of this initiative globally is a true testament to the force of the Star Wars franchise and the importance of reading.”
This year, more than 1,000 events will take place in cities around the world on October 10, 2015, including three in South Africa at the following details:
- Johannesburg: Exclusive Books, Melrose Arch (10:30AM)
- Durban: Exclusive Books, Westville Mall (10:30AM)
- Cape Town: Exclusive Books, Cavendish (10:30AM)
South Africa’s Star Wars Reads Day Events will include themed activities, photo booths, story time and much more fun for the whole family.
For more information on signings, parties and celebrations in your area, and to download the Star Wars Reads Day Printable Activity Kits, visit the Star Wars website and Star Wars Reads community Facebook page. Fans can follow Star Wars Reads Day on social media by using the hastag #StarWarsReadsDay.
Other global events include:
- Dymocks, Melbourne (1:00 – 4:30PM): The event includes activities, competitions, readings, and books. Visit the Dymocks Facebook event page for more information.
- Books Kinokuniya, Sydney (1:00 – 3:30PM): Live book readings, fun activities, and a Star Wars Reads Day activity area will be open all day in the children’s department.
- Where the Wild Things Are, Brisbane (12 – 3:30PM): This event includes a reading with Trent Jamieson (author of the Death Works series) and Star Wars-themed activities.
CANADA, BRITISH COLUMBIA:
- Black Bond Books, British Columbia (2:30PM): Fans get a behind-the-scenes look include the making of Star Wars Epic Yarns with author, Holman Wang, and find out how the author created characters, built sets, and produced special effects.
- Fnac Master Class: Meet and greet and signings with artists and Star Wars Check local listings for details.
- Cultura: Animation showcase and artist signings. Check local listings for details.
- Leclerc Exhibit: Book Launch featuring title, Star Wars Phenomenon Seen from France Check local listings for details.
- Frankfurt Book Fair (October 14 – 18): DK will host a Star Wars Reads Day event for kids complete with characters, activities, and readings. Check book fair website for more information.
- Over 200 retailers across the country will be hosting events. Check local listings for details.
- Giunti-owned Bookstores: Local events in over 200 Giunti-owned bookstores across the country. Check local listings for details.
- Books stores across Japan will be holding book signings. Check local listings for details.
- XXI Barcelona Manga Fair, Barcelona (Oct. 29 – Nov 1): Check local listings for details on this Star Wars Reads Day event.
- Fnac Stores: Star Wars-themed storytelling events will be held in Barcelona and Madrid. Check local listings for details.
- Cheltenham Literature Festival (11:45AM – 12:30PM): DK and Egmont Publishing will host a celebration featuring a reading by authors, Sadie Smith and Ruth Amos, followed by an exciting quiz to test your knowledge afterwards.
- Seven Stories Newcastle (10AM – 5PM): Fans are invited to come dressed in their favorite costume as they celebrate Star Wars Reads Day with themed activities.
- Barnes & Noble, Montclair (10:00AM): Panel discussion with Cecil Castelluci (Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure)
- Barnes & Noble, Montclair (11:00AM): Origami workshop with Chris Alexander, of Star Wars Origami
- Mysterious Galaxy, San Diego (3:00PM): Origami workshop with Chris Alexander, of Star Wars Origami
U.S., NEW YORK:
- New York Comic Con, Javits Center (10:00AM – 12:00PM): Signing with author Daniel Wallace (Ultimate Star Wars)
- New York Comic Con, Javits Center (12:15-1:15PM): “Disney-Lucasfilm Publishing Presents: Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens” Panel with Chuck Wendig, Adam Bray, Jason Fry, Claudia Gray, Greg Rucka, Pablo Hidalgo, and Michael Siglain discussing the newest Star Wars books and what’s to-come in the Star Wars universe
- New York Comic Con, Javits Center (4:00 – 6:00PM): Signing with author Adam Bray (Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know)
- Books of Wonder, New York (1:00-3:00PM): Featuring Disney Lucasfilm Press authors, Alexandra Bracken, Tom Angleberger, and Adam Gidwitz
- Bank Street Bookstore, New York (11:00AM – 12:00PM): Signing with author Cole Horton (Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know)
U.S., NEW JERSEY:
- Maplewood Memorial Library (2:00 – 4:00PM): Signing with author, Jason Fry (Star Wars in 100 Scenes)
- GeekGirlCon, Seattle: Featuring author Tricia Barr, signing Ultimate Star Wars