Who doesn’t love a roadtrip filled with excitement, live comedy and movie premieres along the way? Jonathan has packed his bags and will be hitting the road for a national cinema tour across South Africa this November.
In his own words: “Da vat hy, boys!”
JONATHAN – the Big Screen comedy based on the character from the record-breaking YouTube hit – will be travelling to most of SA’s cities and towns from Tuesday, 1 November. Fans will get the opportunity to not only see his debut feature film ahead of its general cinema-release, but also get up close and personal with Jonathan himself. The JONATHAN roadshow kicks off exactly a month before the film’s release date – to kick-start the December holiday-festivities a little earlier than expected.
“Lekker boys… Life happens, en dit gebeur met my ook! En dis nie altyd koue bier en sonskyn nie, soos jy sal sien in my movie! Kom kyk JONATHAN die movie op die toer nog voor enige van jou pelle, en mock hulle na die tyd!” states Jonathan.
This movie marks the first comedic outing for acclaimed producer, writer and director Sallas de Jager. De Jager is best known for period dramas such as VERRAAIERS, ROEPMAN and most recently, FREE STATE. His new film, JONATHAN, is inspired by the Internet-sensation Jonathan from Radio Raps-fame. It also heralds the big screen-debut for Rikus de Beer – the man behind the hilarious and beloved Jonathan-character.
Apart from De Beer, the film’s cast includes a who’s who of local acting giants – including revered names such as Brumilda van Rensburg, Paul Eilers, Anel Alexander, Jacques Bessenger, Eric Nobbs, Rika Sennett, Albert Pretorius, Frank Opperman, Lizz Meiring and Beate Opperman.
“South Africans can look forward to a laugh-out-loud movie outing, filled with incidents which will keep you giggling for weeks after you’ve left the cinema. Jonathan is a character that everyone can relate to in some way or another. It is a fun and very funny, but also touching coming-of-age story – tailor-made to entertain cinemagoers during the December holidays. Looking forward to say Hello to all our fans along the road, and showing them our movie before the rest of the country!” says director Sallas de Jager.
Below follows the full schedule for the JONATHAN roadshow. A ticket for the JONATHAN roadshow presents public with a special pre-release screening of the film, as well as a live appearance by Jonathan. Bookings can be made via the standard Ster-Kinekor and Nu Metro booking outlets; standard ticket pricing applies.
- Tuesday, 1 November Welkom (Nu Metro The Strip)
- Wednesday, 2 November Klerksdorp/Stilfontein (Ster-Kinekor Matlosana)
- Thursday, 3 November Potchefstroom (Ster-Kinekor Mooirivier)
- Tuesday, 8 November Roodepoort (Nu Metro Clearwater Mall)
- Thursday, 10 November Bloemfontein (Ster-Kinekor Mimosa Mall)
- Monday, 14 November Johannesburg (Premiere Event; invited guests only)
- Tuesday, 15November Vanderbijlpark (Ster-Kinekor Vaal Mall)
- Wednesday, 16 November George (Ster-Kinekor Garden Route Mall)
- Thursday, 17 November Cape Town (Ster-Kinekor Tygervalley)
- Friday, 18 November Stellenbosch (Ster-Kinekor Eikestad)
- Wednesday, 23 November Pretoria North (Ster-Kinekor Kolonnade)
- Thursday, 24 November Boksburg (Ster-Kinekor East Rand Mall)
- Tuesday, 29 November Krugersdorp (Nu Metro Key West)
- Friday, 2 December French Toast, Hartebeespoortdam (Ster-Kinekor)
Jonathan, a dreamer and wannabe stand-up comedian in his late 20’s, still lives with parents. After another failed ‘open mic’ performance, he gets drunk and crashes his father’s bakkie on the way home. This is the last straw for his loving but fed up parents and now, for the first time in his life, he has to take care of himself. With nowhere else to go, he becomes a car guard. He falls head over heels in love but before he can win the girl’s heart, he has to embark on a rollercoaster journey of self-discovery.
JONATHAN (Afrikaans language, with English subtitles) releases at South African cinemas nationwide from 2 December 2016.