Poppie Nongena has been accepted into various international film festivals this year:
- Hamburg International Film Festival – in competition 24/09 – 03/10
- Film by the Sea in Netherlands – in competition 11 Sep 2020 – 20 Sep 2020
- Moscow intl film fest – Out of competition 1 – 8 October 2020
- BRICS FF In- Competition Not sure but either simultaneously with the Moscow film fest or just after.
- B3 Biennale festival (Frankfurt, German) – in competition. October 9 – 18, 2020
- GRIFF – in competition 25th Sept – 10 October
- Africa in Motion in UK 30 October – 8th November 2020
- New Vision International Film Festival Amsterdam, Netherland – in competition – best film nominee 13th and 14th December (award dates)
Poppie Nongena – the feature film based on one of the finest African novel of the twentieth century – tells an inspiring story of courage and tenacity. The movie explores the brutal and tender journey of a single woman caught between two families. Replete with tumultuous twists and turns, Poppie Nongena is heartfelt and personal.
Poppie Nongena, directed by Christiaan Olwagen stars:
- Clementine Mosimane (Soul City, The Wild, Black Tax)
- Anna-Mart van der Merwe (Die Storie van Klara Viljee, Kanarie
- Chris Gxalaba (Long Walk to Freedom, The Crown, ER, Mandela and De Klerk)
- Rolanda Marais (Trackers, Wolwe Dans in die Skemer, Binnelanders, Out on a Limb)
- David Minaar (Torings, Fiela se Kind, Nag van die 19de, 7de Laan, Amalia)
- Lida Botha (Invictus, Susters, Windprint, Pad na jou Hart, Die Boekklub, Hollywood in my Huis, Susters).
- Nomsa Nene (who played the title role in the international theatre production of Poppie) plays Poppie’s mother in the film.