Scarlett Johansson reprises her role as Natasha/Black Widow in Marvel Studios’ action-packed spy thriller “Black Widow”—the first film in Phase Four of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Florence Pugh stars as Yelena, David Harbour as Alexei aka The Red Guardian and Rachel Weisz as Melina. Directed by Cate Shortland and produced by Kevin Feige, “Black Widow” hits cinemas from May 1, 2020.
Since the creation of the first brick nearly 60 years ago, LEGO® bricks have captured the imaginations of young and old, and remain as culturally relevant today as they always were.
Building on this continued interest,Nickelodeon will be adding a brand-new show to its kids’ entertainment line-up. Premiering this November, The LEGO Group, one of the biggest kids’ toymakers and animation studios, will see its LEGO City Adventures series premiere on Nickelodeon(DStv channel 305).
Aimed at children aged eight to 12 years, LEGO City Adventures is loaded with hysterical, action-packed and often absurd slices of urban life. The CG-animated comedy series explores the hopes, dreams and misadventures of an ever-expanding community of unique characters. Brick by brick, LEGO City Adventures offers a rollercoaster ride of non-stop fun, with unorthodox silliness and heroic moments in every episode!
Tasania Parsadh, Nickelodeon Channel Director at Viacom International Media Networks Africa (VIMN Africa), commented on the recent acquisition of the show saying,“We’re very excited about the newly found partnership with the LEGO Group, considering how well-positioned they are to engage children and families with relevant programming. Creating imaginative and innovative content for kids has always been the main driving force for Nickelodeon and partnering with companies who share these values is how we intend to extend our legacy.”
Both parents and kids can look forward to LEGO City Adventures premiering weekdays at 15:55 on Nickelodeon (DStv channel 305), starting 25 November.
Created and produced by LEGO Group, LEGO City Adventures is produced by Flaunt Animation (Scotland) and Passion Pictures (France) and written by Jon Colton Barry (Phineas and Ferb), Steven Banks (SpongeBob SquarePants), Jamie Moyer (Modern Family) and Brian Hunt (Second City Chicago). Jason Oliveri is the executive in charge of LEGO City Adventures for Nickelodeon.
A twisted tale where everyone is a suspect until proven innocent –
Hollywood releases on average, over 730 films each year – a massive selection for cinema goers to choose from except when one gets released with an all-star heavyweight cast. KNIVES OUT, the latest production from Lionsgate will be in cinemas on 29 November and promises to deliver legendary performances from cast members that have defined the movie-making industry.
Certified as ‘Fresh’, “Knives Out sharpens old murder-mystery tropes with a keenly assembled suspense outing that makes brilliant use of writer-director Rian Johnson’s stellar ensemble” Rotten Tomatoes, the most trusted measurement of quality for movies.
When renowned, well-off crime novelist Harlan Thrombey (Christopher Plummer) is announced dead at his estate just after his 85th birthday party, which he celebrated with the entire Thrombey family, the suave Detective Benoit Blanc (Daniel Craig) mysteriously arrives to investigate the series of events that lead to the death of Harlan.
You are introduced to Harlan’s dysfunctional family members one by one while Blanc sifts through a web of their narcissistic lies to uncover the truth behind Harlan’s suspicious death.
With an all-star ensemble cast including Chris Evans, Ana De Armas, Jamie Lee Curtis, Don Johnson, Michael Shannon, Toni Collette, LaKeith Stanfield, Katherine Langford and Jaeden Martell, KNIVES OUT is a witty whodunit film which guarantees to keep audiences guessing until the very end.
A new film reveals the personal and professional cost often paid by women when publicly going into battle with very powerful men.
BOMBSHELL, by award-winning director Jay Roach and screenwriter Charles Randolph, tells the explosive story of the women who brought down a powerful media mogul. Based on the real-life chain of events of the Fox News scandal – which saw multiple women accuse former Fox News CEO and chairman Roger Ailes of sexual harassment – it offers a revealing look inside the most powerful and controversial media empire of all time.
While the drama portrays a workplace where women face demeaning comments, policing of their appearance and unwanted sexual propositions by male executives, it focuses specifically on Ailes’s female victims and their battle to bring him to justice. It follows the stories of two women in particular – Gretchen Carlson (played perfectly by Nicole Kidman) and Megyn Kelly (depicted by an almost unrecognisable Charlize Theron). In 2016, Carlson sued Ailes for sexual harassment, which led more women, including Kelly, to come forward with allegations against him.
Starring alongside these heavyweights is Margot Robbie as Kayla, a young producer who looks to have a future on camera. While fictional, the filmmakers say her character was inspired by the stories of multiple real-life women, whose experiences were amalgamated for the film.
According to the Los Angeles Times, the main characters are ‘morally complex heroines who surprise viewers in their attempts to do the right thing’. However, Theron’s portrayal of Kelly defies traditional expectations of movie heroines.
“I don’t think I’ve ever chased playing heroes,” said Theron, who is no stranger to portraying complicated characters, about her decision to play Kelly. “There’s an earnestness about it that instantly turns me off. I’m interested in people who are complicated and flawed and make mistakes. Women don’t always do the right thing. This idea of what a victim looks like, what an abuser looks like, is not black and white – it’s incredibly grey. That is what I was fascinated by.”
Playing Ailes opposite the strong female cast is John Lithgow. Talking about BOMBSHELL, he said: “It’s a film very much about the women. There’s so much to talk about and so many great women’s stories being told. This might be one of the best because it really is about six or seven extremely different women who have extremely different experiences and response of the crisis at Fox. I play the crisis.”
The rest of the hotly anticipated film’s star-studded ensemble includes Connie Britton as Beth Ailes, Allison Janney as Ailes’s lawyer Susan Estrich, Kate McKinnon as a Fox News employee, Nazanin Boniadi as former Fox News correspondent Rudi Bakhtiar, Malcolm McDowell as Fox CEO Rupert Murdoch, Mark Duplass as Kelly’s husband, Douglas Brunt, and Alice Eve as Fox & Friends co-host Ainsley Earhardt.
Shot in an observational documentary style, BOMBSHELL is gripping and timely and critics are praising the film not only for its handling of a difficult topic and a complicated story, but also for its screenplay and directorial decisions.
“We are in a climate now that is pretty intense, and it is not cooling,” added Theron. “Now there is more safety in numbers and that is happening, which is why I think this movie is so powerful.”
The film has been very well received by critics and has already been nominated for various awards, including Best Contemporary Make-Up in a Feature-length Motion Picture, Best Special Make-Up Effects in a Feature-length Motion Picture and Best Contemporary Hair Styling in a Feature-length Motion Picture at the 7th Annual Make-Up Artists & Hair Stylists Guild (MUAHS) that is taking place on 11 January 2020. It is also up for a Humanitas Prize in the Best Drama Feature Film category. The winner will be announced during the 45th Humanitas Ceremony, which will be held at The Beverly Hilton on 24 January 2020. This non-profit organization honours and empowers film and television writers whose work explores the human condition in a nuanced, meaningful way which brings the global community closer.
Furthermore, the Hollywood Critics Association (LAOFCS) has also nominated Charlize Theron in the Best Actress category and Kazu Hiro, Anne Morgan and Vivian Baker in the Best Hair and Make-Up category for their outstanding work in the film. The 3rd Annual LAOFCS Awards Ceremony will take place on 9 January 2020, at the Taglyan Complex in Los Angeles.
BOMBSHELL is distributed by Filmfinity (Pty) Ltd. and will be released in South African cinemas on 24 January 2020.
The names of the five finalists of the Distell National Playwright Competition of 2020 have been announced.
These fresh new South African voices, whose scripts have sufficiently impressed the judges of this annual playwright competition, run by the National Arts Festival and supported by Distell, are:
- Tamarisk-Ray Glogauer from Wilderness in the Western Cape (written in English)
- Philiswe Twijnstra from Glenwood in Kwa-Zulu Natal (written in English and isiZulu)
- Amy Louise Wilson from Parktown, Johannesburg (written in English)
- Happy Simelane from Kathlehong, Gauteng (written in isiZulu)
- Tseko Thukani from Bloemfontein, Free State (written in English and Sesotho)
The project sees the finalists paired with notable mentors who will assist them in developing their scripts to be ready for staging.
The five finished scripts will then be evaluated by a panel and one winning script will be chosen to be developed into a production and staged at the National Arts Festival in 2020. Each finalist receives R 5 000 in cash, while the winning scriptwriter can also look forward to a R 20 000 cash prize.
The 2019 winner, Koleka Putuma, penned No Easter Sunday for Queers for her winning entry last year. The play focuses on the limitations of the normative ideas of sexuality in religion and received rave reviews both in South Africa and London.
The Distell National Playwright Competition recognises work that grapples with issues of social cohesion and was in fact founded in honour of Adam and Rosalie Small, whose work in literature and education formed a rich contribution to South African culture.
Says the National Arts Festival’s Executive Producer, Nobesuthu Rayi, “It’s imperative that new work comes into the South African theatre space but new scriptwriters often battle to have their work made and as a result we are not seeing nearly enough new work on our stages. There is no shortage of ideas though and this wonderful partnership with Distell has enabled us to bring these ideas to light and assist writers in taking them to the next level.”
Bridgitte Backman, Distell’s Director of Corporate and Regulatory Affairs, explains the company’s aim with supporting the project: “As Distell, we recognise that our country is multi-ethnic and we therefore place a high priority on supporting arts initiatives that showcase our country’s rich heritage and diversity. The arts, in our view, are key to building a more inspired and creative society.”
The winner of the competition will be announced on 31 January 2020.
About the 2020 Distell National Playwright Competition Finalists
Philisiwe Twijnstra is a writer, director and actor. She resides in Durban where she founded Durban Women Playwrights in 2017. She was also selected as one of the female directors for a Womens’ Theatre Festivalin Johannesburg (2016) to stage her first award winning play by a Dutch writer, Theo Fransz Matty & Sis.
She was part of the novel script project at National Arts Festival after which she wrote Salty Pillows; a script which took second place at the PANSA Playwright Festival. (2017). Ms Twijnstra was shortlisted for Short Sharp Stories( 2017) for her short story Little black Sandals.
She received a fellowship in Germany (2018) and her play The Red Suitcase was selected for staged readings in Canada by Zee Zee Theatre. (2018) Ms Twijnstra was recipient for the CASA Playwright Award residency (2018) to write her new play ‘Not Enough Buses in Spring’.
In November 2019, Ms Twijnstra directed Nongogo at University of KwaZulu Natal. She completed her Master’s in Creative Writing at Rhodes University.
Tamarisk-Ray Glogauer enjoys good tea and good conversation. She has an honours degree in drama from Rhodes University where she specialised in writing for performance, physical performance and choreography. She is passionate about writing and exploring bodily performance as communication with the potential to express that which is both universal and deeply personal. She strives to question how it is we tell stories in a world on the brink of change.
HAPPY GLADNESS SIMELANE
Happy Simelane graduated from the Market Theatre Laboratory and has been in plays that include Chasing Happy and Madam and Eva. Happy featured in the National Arts Festival (Makhanda) with a piece of theatre that was devised by the students of the Market (directed by Clara Vaughan and assisted by Salome Sebola) called Noord!. The show also played at 969 Arts Festival at Wits Theatre.
She worked as a facilitator on a school festival and interned as a costume designer for Thula Thula which played in the Barney Simon Theatre at The Market in 2017. In 2019, she performed in a children’s theatre play Ditholoaneng that was devised by the cast and directed by Omphile Molusi. Happy currently resides in Kathlehong, South Africa.
AMY LOUISE WILSON
Amy Louise Wilson is a performer from Johannesburg. Since graduating from Rhodes University and the University of Cape Town with an Honours Degree in Drama, she has appeared in numerous local and international film, television and theatre productions. Notable credits include Fox’s The Book of Negroes and the Netflix series Troy: The Fall of a City.
Her acting credits include a role in the Fugard Theatre’s The Father and The Mother. She has been experimenting with creating solo performance, beginning with her living-room performance-lecture Other People’s Homes which she created in New York. In 2019, together with Francois Knoetze, she co-founded the Lo-Def Film Factory, a pop-up experimental community cinema initiative.
Tseko “Tk Da Poet” Thukani is an acclaimed theatre practitioner from South Africa. A life coach providing educational training, workshops and mentorship through the art and culture intervention.
This young and rising star is a founder and the Creative Elevator Officer (CEO) of The Gallants House Productions, a house for creative writing and performing arts based in Bloemfontein in the Free State Province.
He’s well known for his skilful acting, directing, creative writing, a facilitator of the performing arts and he is a voice-over artist. Tseko has run workshops in various parts of South Africa and shared his craft as an actor and poet in all nine provinces of South Africa; including neighbouring countries i.e. Lesotho and Botswana. His art is a fusion of dreams, visions and reality inspired by nature and language.
Distell, Africa’s leading producer of spirits, wines, ciders and ready-to-drinks (RTDs), supports a wide range of community projects that include alcohol harm reduction and socio-economic development. For more information, visit www.distell.co.za.
ABOUT THE NATIONAL ARTS FESTIVAL
The National Arts Festival is an important event on the South African cultural calendar, and the biggest annual celebration of the arts on the African continent. Starting at the end of June/beginning of July, it runs for 11 days and is held in the small university city of Makhanda (formerly Grahamstown), which is situated in the Eastern Cape, 130km from Port Elizabeth. For more information, visit www.nationalartsfestival.co.za
The 2020 National Arts Festival takes place from 25 June-5 July.
Licensed titles coming to the service below:
Jack Reacher – 12/1/2019
American Sniper – 12/1/2019
Blade Runner – 12/12/2019
Licensed titles are films and series created by production companies such as Disney, Marvel and Warner Brothers, and licensed to Netflix for streaming.
Original titles coming to the service this November. Original titles are films and series produced and / or owned by Netflix.
1 December 2019
Dead Kids – Netflix Original Film
A socially awkward teen bonds with a group of misfits who plot to take out the school’s arrogant rich kid — until their kidnapping scheme turns deadly.
2 December 2019
The Lies Within – Netflix Original Series
After her father dies and her husband goes missing, Kim Seo-hui teams up with detective Jo Tae-sik and joins the National Assembly.
Team Kaylie: Part 2 – Netflix Kids And Family
Ready for more glitz, glam and grit? Kaylie and the Porcupines sharpen their skills for a new slate of action-packed shenanigans.
3 December 2019
Especial de Natal Porta dos Fundos: A Primeira Tentação de Cristo – Netflix Original Film
Jesus, who’s hitting the big 3-0, brings a surprise guest to meet the family. A Christmas special so wrong, it must be from comedians Porta dos Fundos.
Tiffany Haddish: Black Mitzvah – Netflix Original Comedy Special
On her 40th birthday, Tiffany Haddish drops a bombastic special studded with singing, dancing and raunchy reflections on her long road to womanhood.
4 December 2019
Los Briceño – Netflix Original Series
After an argument with her dad, a young woman from a family of macho truck drivers is kicked out of the home and must make her own success as a trucker.
Magic for Humans: Season 2 – Netflix Original Series
Hilarious and heartfelt, Justin Willman pulls out all the stops and props to amaze real people with playful tricks and showstopping magic routines.
Let’s Dance – Netflix Original Film
After his crew breaks up, a gifted but insecure hip-hop dancer teaches at a top ballet school in Paris, where he falls for an aspiring ballerina.
5 December 2019
Apache: La vida de Carlos Tevez – Netflix Original Series
This gritty dramatization of the life of Carlos Tevez shows his rise to soccer stardom amid the harrowing conditions in Argentina’s Fuerte Apache.
V-Wars – Netflix Original Series
A doctor is pitted against his best friend after an ancient disease turns people into vampires. From the comics by Jonathan Maberry and Alan Robinson.
Home for Christmas – Netflix Original Series
Fed up with the constant comments on her relationship status, perpetually single Johanne starts a 24-day hunt for a partner to bring home for Christmas.
A Christmas Prince: The Royal Baby – Netflix Original Film
Christmas brings the ultimate gift to Aldovia: a royal baby. But first, Queen Amber must help her family and kingdom by finding a missing peace treaty.
6 December 2019
The Chosen One: Season 2 – Netflix Original Series
The world pours into the once-closed Aguazul as the doctors circle back to the village, and a journalist promises to tell the Chosen One’s story.
Glow Up – Netflix Original Series
Aspiring makeup artists apply themselves to celebrity looks, movie prosthetics and more in a colorful competition show hosted by Stacey Dooley.
Triad Princess – Netflix Original Series
After growing up in the shadow of her mafia-affiliated father, Angie defies his wishes and takes a gig as an undercover bodyguard for a famous actress.
Three Days of Christmas – Netflix Original Series
Four sisters deal with family drama and secrets throughout three different time periods, all occurring on Christmas Day.
Virgin River – Netflix Original Series
Searching for a fresh start, a nurse practitioner moves from LA to a remote northern California town and is surprised by what — and who — she finds.
Fuller House: Season 5 – Netflix Original Series
Jimmy and Steph bring their new baby home and dive headfirst into the world of parenting. But no worries: They’ve got a houseful of hands to help.
Marriage Story – Netflix Original Film
Academy Award-nominated filmmaker Noah Baumbach directs this incisive and compassionate look at a marriage coming apart and a family staying together.
Astronomy Club: The Sketch Show – Netflix Original Comedy Special
This sketch comedy show features the Astronomy Club, the first all-black house team at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre. Produced by Kenya Barris.
The Confession Killer – Netflix Original Documentary
On trial for murder, drifter Henry Lee Lucas confesses to hundreds more killings. This docuseries examines the truth behind his admissions.
Spirit Riding Free: The Spirit of Christmas – Netflix Kids And Family
Lucky and friends must figure out how to get home in time for Christmas when a falling boulder — and a serious snowstorm — derail their travel plans.
Teasing Master Takagi-san: Season 2 – Netflix Original Anime
Now in his second year of middle school, Nishikata still tries to outplay Takagi, but continues to fail miserably at his quest to get even.
9 December 2019
Amit Tandon: Family Tandoncies – Netflix Original Comedy Special
From the death of romance in marriage to the injustices of modern-day parenting, Amit Tandon shares wisdom and wisecracks as a battle-scarred family guy.
A Family Reunion Christmas – Netflix Kids And Family
M’Dear and her sisters struggle to keep their singing act together before a church Christmas pageant while Grandpa teaches the kids a valuable lesson.
10 December 2019
TERRACE HOUSE: TOKYO 2019-2020: Part 3 – Netflix Original Series
As the world turns its eyes to Tokyo for the 2020 Olympics, six strangers continue to share one unbelievable house — and to look for love.
Michelle Wolf: Joke Show – Netflix Original Comedy Special
Michelle Wolf performs a new stand-up comedy special for 2019 shot in New York City.
12 December 2019
Jack Whitehall: Christmas with my Father – Netflix Original Comedy Special
Jack Whitehall attempts to get his notoriously stodgy father into the holiday spirit in this comedy-variety Christmas extravaganza.
13 December 2019
6 Underground – Netflix Original Film
“What’s the best part of being dead?
It isn’t escaping your boss, your ex, or even erasing your criminal record.
The best part about being dead…is the freedom.
The freedom to fight the injustice and evil that lurk in our world without anyone or anything to slow you down or tell you “no.”
6 Underground introduces a new kind of action hero. Six individuals from all around the globe, each the very best at what they do, have been chosen not only for their skill, but for a unique desire to delete their pasts to change the future. The team is brought together by an enigmatic leader (Ryan Reynolds), whose sole mission in life is to ensure that, while he and his fellow operatives will never be remembered, their actions damn sure will. “””
17 December 2019
Chief of Staff: Season 2 – Netflix Original Series
Newly elected Tae-jun moves through the familiar grounds of the National Assembly with bold intent — and the will to do whatever it takes.
Ronny Chieng: Asian Comedian Destroys America! – Netflix Original Comedy Special
Ronny Chieng (“The Daily Show,” “Crazy Rich Asians”) takes the stage for an original stand-up comedy special.
18 December 2019
Soundtrack – Netflix Original Series
This romantic musical drama follows the love stories connecting an eclectic group of people in modern-day Los Angeles.
Don’t F**k With Cats: Hunting an Internet Killer – Netflix Original Documentary
Cyber sleuths engage in a dangerous game of cat and mouse with a man who posts sadistic animal-abuse videos online — and then turns to murder.
19 December 2019
Ultraviolet: Season 2 – Netflix Original Series
Ola and her team of amateur sleuths continue to solve crimes — including one that hits close to home — as a new detective joins the force.
Twice Upon a Time – Netflix Original Series
Still reeling from a breakup, Vincent Dauda receives a package with mysterious properties that could give him a chance to win back his ex, Louise.
After The Raid – Netflix Original Documentary
A large immigration raid in a small Tennessee town leaves emotional fallout as well as far-reaching questions about justice, faith and humanity.
20 December 2019
The Witcher – Netflix Original Series
The witcher Geralt, a mutated monster hunter, struggles to find his place in a world where people often prove more wicked than beasts.
The Two Popes – Netflix Original Film
From Fernando Meirelles, the Academy Award-nominated director of “City of God,” and three-time Academy Award-nominated screenwriter Anthony McCarten, comes an intimate story of one of the most dramatic transitions of power in the last 2,000 years. Frustrated with the direction of the church, Cardinal Bergoglio (Jonathan Pryce) requests permission to retire in 2012 from Pope Benedict (Anthony Hopkins). Instead, facing scandal and self-doubt, the introspective Pope Benedict summons his harshest critic and future successor to Rome to reveal a secret that would shake the foundations of the Catholic Church. Behind Vatican walls, a struggle commences between both tradition and progress, guilt and forgiveness, as these two very different men confront their pasts in order to find common ground and forge a future for a billion followers around the world. Inspired by true events.
24 December 2019
Lost in Space: Season 2 – Netflix Original Series
The Robinson family returns for Season 2 and continues its fight against all odds to survive and escape while lost in space.
Como caído del cielo – Netflix Original Film
Legendary Mexican actor-singer Pedro Infante is sent back to Earth in an impersonator’s body to mend his womanizing ways and earn entrance into heaven.
John Mulaney & The Sack Lunch Bunch – Netflix Original Comedy Special
In this variety comedy special from John Mulaney, he hilariously tackles grown-up topics with his kid pals, the Sack Lunch Bunch. Fun for everyone!
CAROLE & TUESDAY: Part 2 – Netflix Original Anime
Carole and Tuesday’s newfound attention brings with it new challenges. Angela considers them rivals, and the Mars music business isn’t easy.
26 December 2019
Le Bazar de la Charité – Netflix Original Series
Amid a devastating fire in 1897 Paris, three women see their destinies turned upside down by identity theft, forbidden love, betrayal and emancipation.
You: Season 2 – Netflix Original Series
The dark drama returns for its second season, with Joe now laying low and hiding from his ex in LA. Can he deal with his past and make a fresh start, this time with the right woman?
The App – Netflix Original Film
Fast & Furious Spy Racers – Netflix Kids And Family
Adventures abound as a group of teenagers infiltrates an elite racing league controlled by a nefarious organization bent on world domination.
27 December 2019
The Gift – Netflix Original Series
In an Anatolian ruin, an archaeologist finds a mysterious link to a young painter (Beren Saat), who embarks on a quest to uncover secrets in her past.
Kevin Hart: Don’t F**k This Up – Netflix Original Documentary
This docu series follows comedian Kevin Hart during his “Irresponsible” tour.
28 December 2019
“Hot Gimmick: Girl Meets Boy ” – Netflix Original Film
After Hatsumi’s single-minded neighbor blackmails her into being his servant, they learn the real meaning of love and trust. Based on the hit manga.
30 December 2019
Alexa & Katie: Season 3 – Netflix Kids And Family
Alexa tries to put cancer behind her, but a new person in her life might make that especially hard, while Katie will need all the support she can get from her best friend. The teen series returns for Season 3.
The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.: Reawakened – Netflix Original Anime
Kusuo and his gaggle of self-proclaimed friends are back for more psychic mishaps. If he didn’t have enough problems before, he’s got even more now.
31 December 2019
The Neighbor – Netflix Original Series
Javier, a 20-something struggling with adulthood and his girlfriend, unexpectedly becomes a superhero. Based on Santiago García and Pepo Pérez’s comic.
Yanxi Palace: Princess Adventures – Netflix Original Series
Determined to win the heart of a Mongolian prince, a Qing dynasty princess contends with palace intrigue and vendettas against her family.
The Degenerates: Season 2 – Netflix Original Comedy Special
This stand-up series featuring comics who explore the coarse and salacious side of comedy, returns for a second season.
For some, the first day of school is a magical new experience, filled with fun and excitement. For others, it’s a more frightening event, venturing into the big world without mom and dad. Whatever the case, it’s a day that parents and children will never forget. To mark this momentous occasion and make it a little less scary and a lot friendlier, DStv is partnering with 94.7’s Breakfast Club to prepare your little one’s for their First Day of Big School in January 2020.
From 25 to 29 November, an innovative competition will be run each morning, in which the Breakfast Club’s Anele Mdoda will ask kids to phone in and share what they are looking forward to the most about their first day at school, and also how their parents are going to deal with the occasion.
Each day, 94.7 will choose an answer which they will be play on air, and on 3 December, the best answer of all will win not just a R10 000 cash prize, however, your ‘bundle of joy’ could also be the coolest kid at school by bringing DStv and 947 to school on their first day as part of the DStv School of Laughter and 94.7 #1stDayTakeOver on the 15 January 2020. Shannon from FreshOn947 will record a cute little snippet for that afternoon’s “Shannon on the streets” feature.
In addition, DStv will also present the winning pupil’s school with a Friendship Bench, and the school’s principal will be able to choose from a number of different assets, including a learning and reading corner with seating, a bookshelf built out of the School of Learning train and a Learn to Count poster.
The DStv School of Laughter was launched to promote the fact that exposing children to humour at an early age is extremely beneficial. It plays an important role in developing self-esteem, learning to problem-solve and honing social skills. It also helps to children make sense of their world and develop empathy with others. Laughter is also said to balance the two sides of the brain, which boosts creativity and builds intelligence.
The School of Laughter is a long-term initiative that takes some of the different aspects so important to a child’s development and links different programming to these, with shows that balance education and entertainment.
The areas of focus are:
Self-Esteem – a well-developed sense of humour adds greatly to a child’s self-esteem, giving them more power to handle adversity.
Learning – when learning is fun, it becomes so much easier. Research has also shown children tend to retain more information when learning in a fun-filled environment.
Problem Solving – laughter has been shown to improve cognitive understanding of a situation, enabling kids to solve problems more effectively.
Bonding – humour can help to build relationships between parents and children, as well as between siblings. A shared joke or funny situation can build a certain type of energy that connects a family.
Friendship – there is nothing more important to a child’s emotional and social development than building strong friendships with their peers – and laughter is a brilliant way to do this. A funny situation or shared humorous situation can help to break the ice, and allow kids to discover what they have in common.
Brain Food – a good laugh can actually help to improve memory and mental performance. It gets the blood flowing and reduces stress, which can also help with concentration.
This partnership 94.7 will not only make the first day of school easier, it will also drive the initiative forward, helping parents to understand the benefits of supervised television viewing. The key is to enjoy humour together as a family and use TV time to build a child’s connection with their parents by interacting with them and encouraging them to ask questions.
In the lead up to an epic season finale of Trackers, M-Net and its partners have released the hit series’ theme song, “This is War”, which is now available on major music streaming services such as Joox, Spotify and iTunes.
This is War is composed by Safta award-winner Brendan Jury, features SAMA-nominee Brenda Mtambo and popular singer-actor Israel Makoe Matseke-Zulu aka GP-MaOrange.“This is yet another milestone for Trackers,” says M-Net’s Senior Marketing Manager Georginah Machiridza. Trackers has been a culmination of world-class production and a global standard marketing campaign. When we heard the track for music for the first time, we knew it would be an integral part of our campaign. Our approach was not only to showcase the great work produced by M-Net but more equally feature and profile the cast, crew, and musicians that are the heartbeat of our African storytelling proposition.”
An accomplished composer, producer and musical director, Brendan Jury has written and recorded opening theme songs for the multi-award-winning and Emmy-nominated television series The River, the gripping TV drama The Republic, Spoorloos, Mutual Friends, Intersexions and more. Jury has also scored for films such as iNumber Number, Happiness is a Four Letter Word and I am All Girls, to name just a few. “Ungowam Forever” soulful vocalist Brenda Mtambo has headlined major jazz festivals. Her albums have been nominated for numerous awards. Mtambo is excited to be working alongside Brendan Jury. Talented singer and actor GP-MaOrange is popular for his villain roles on television and movies and has been nominated for a Mzansi Kwaito House Music Award, the event is set to take place end of November.
Trackers is the five-part television adaptation of Deon Meyer’s internationally bestselling thriller of the same name. The series has kept viewers on the edge of their seats for the past few weeks. In the season finale of the electrifying crime series, tragedy strikes Cape Town. Will Lemmer and Janina succeed in bringing down the perpetrators? Or will it end in turmoil?
Trackers final episode airs tonight Sunday, 24 November at 20:00 on M-Net channel 101. The series is also available on DStv Now and Showmax.
Go to m-net.dstv.com/show/trackers for Trackers news, behind-the-scenes videos and more. You can also join the conversation on Twitter at #TrackersSA.
Today, MTV has unveiled the contents of the exclusive 2019 MTV EMA Presenter and Performer Goody Bag, as well as the exclusive brands that will have a presence in the Artist Dressing Rooms and Backstage Gifting Suite
Talent will each receive gifts worth an estimated retail value of €10,000 (over R160 000); the amazing products gifted during the 2019 MTV EMAs includes the latest in beauty, fashion, tech, accessories and more from top brands around the world. The 2019 MTV EMAs will be broadcast in partnership with Impulse #OwnYourThrone on MTV Africa (DStv channel 130) from 21:00 CAT.
The 2019 MTV EMA Artist Goody Bag and Dressing Rooms will feature:
- BRIC’S MILANO: The 2019 MTV EMA Goody Bag Vessel: Bric’s carries on the family tradition of timeless design and exemplary craftsmanship for more than six decades. Providing the latest B|Y cabin size collection.
- LAILA LETTERING: Laila Lettering is delighted to be personalizing the MTV EMAartist goody bags for the second year running. Boss lady, Christina, prides herself in collaborating with an eclectic array of exciting brands by providing bespoke personalization services on products at their live events and product launches.
- BOSE: Providing new BOSE Frames Audio Sunglasses. The brand’s debut sunglasses collection features two classic silhouettes with built-in Bose speakers for an immersive audio experience unlike any other.
- RAYMOND WEIL: The music inspired watchmaker. Family owned and independent watch brand, glad to be supporting the EMA.
- ISAWITFIRST.COM: The go-to for the newest in fashion trends straight off Instagram and the catwalk
- PENNY: The Casper 27″ Penny Board will keep you skating from day to night with a glow in the dark deck that charges in the sunlight whilst you ride. Cast your hover-board like glow on the pavement as you float by and enjoy some moonlit adventures in true Casper style.
- LIFEPRINT BY KODAK: Print photos & videos on the go, zero ink required. Show off your colorful side with the new limited edition colors – which are featured in this year’s MTV EMA Goody Bag.
- UGG: First worn by Hollywood royalty, fashion editors and then the world, UGG® designs and retails footwear, apparel, accessories and homewares with an uncompromising attitude toward quality and craftsmanship.
- BEE INSPIRED: B33 Designer Global Streetwear Brand Available Worldwide. The Freshest Styles, Inspired By Life. Premium Footwear, Jeans, Tees, Jackets, Hoods & Sweats.
- DON JULIO: The perfect luxury tequila to celebrate with will toast with the artists on this special night, from the heart of Mexico. The Day of the Dead will be present in Seville, and the artists will be experiencing the heritage and passion of Don Julio.
- FOREO: Known for techno beauty devices to take care of your skin & oral health, FOREO will be providing electronic beauty items.
- MUSE: Spreading the gift of a calm mind. Meditation made easy with brain-sensing technology. Muse is an immersive meditation device that provides real-time feedback on your mental activity, heart rate, breathing, and body movements to help you build a consistent meditation practice.
- THE DAILY EDITED (TDE): Australian luxury fashion brand, specializing in monogrammable leather goods will be gifting phone cases and other items.
- STEAMERY: CEO and co-founder of Steamery Stockholm Petra Ringström stated, “We are thrilled to provide MTV EMA with our products and continue creating global awareness about clothing care.”
- P.E. NATION: P.E Nation Active-streetwear for an urban life, lived at fast-pace – Designed to perform all day, every day.
- ULTIMATE EARS: Seeding portable wireless Bluetooth® speakers with super-powerful and immersive 360° sound, thundering bass, water, dust & drop proof, and stunning high-performance fabric.
- NEON HOPE: Neon Hope is a new British lifestyle brand that was born with a sunrise and founded on the belief that every day holds promise. Designed to wear through the day and carry on all night, Neon Hope is for those who break the mold on a daily basis, who rise with attitude and authenticity no matter what – with multi-functionality at it’s heart.
- 111SKIN: For those seeking that extra resplendence in their regime, the 111SKIN Rosa Damascena and Pure Gold infused Radiance Booster and Brightening Facial Treatment Masks help to enhance microcirculation, restore tone, illuminate and improve redness, leaving skin with a coveted glow.
- CINTA THE LABEL: Cinta the Label, Spanish for ribbon, was inspired by the majestic shores of Spain where the founder, Amy Sturgis, spent her summers. Cinta believes in the importance of being mindful, which is why they have teamed up with Mind Charity and MAPs on the ‘It only gets better’ T-shirt and scrunchie collaboration.
- GUYLIAN: Discover Guylian’s Belgian Classics assortment. An exquisite symphony of the original Belgian Chocolate Seashells, luxury Opus assortment and La Trufflina creamy filled fantasies.
- IENKI IENKI: Ukrainian buzzy outerwear brand championed by Emily Ratajkowski, Hadid and Kardashian-Jenner sisters for iconic puffers made only with innovative fabrics and advanced tailoring technologies, which are stocked by more than 315 retailers globally.
- GLOSSYBOX: The monthly subscription beauty-box service Glossybox is proud to bring trusted and loved beauty brands to the EMAs.
- CLEMENT & COMPANY: Clement & Company soy candles are entirely handcrafted and carefully infused with blends of premium fragrance. The company is located in a rural village in Staffordshire, UK.
- MY EQUA: EQUA water bottles are made from BPA FREE materials for fashion-conscious people on-the-go.
- BLENDJET: BlendJet is a health and fitness game changer! This powerful, USB-rechargeable blender makes it easy to make delicious smoothies and protein shakes everywhere you go.
- BEST SELF: Productivity tools to connect minds, think bigger, and achieve goals.
- MANTA SLEEP: Manta Sleep Mask is the world’s comfiest 100% blackout sleep mask, designed and optimized for deepest-possible sleep in any environment. The sleep mask comes with adjustable eye covers for a perfect and personalized fit.
- STUDIO ERIS: Limited edition statement earrings inspired by Spanish artist, Joan Miró. Studio Eris creates handmade statement accessories – slow fashion, small batch, zero waste and 100% ethical. Designed and made in London.
- SOUL SHROPSHIRE – DIFFUSERS: Diffusers Luxury Diffusers for Artist’s dressing rooms. Bringing their beautiful scent backstage.
- NANDO’S: Nando’s, the legendary South African flame-grilled PERi-PERi chicken, is turning up the heat by providing restaurant gift cards, perfect for fueling up post-celebrations!
- THE KIM KARDASHIAN PRINCIPLE: WHY SHAMELESS SELLS (AND HOW TO DO IT RIGHT): A trailblazer in pop culture insights, Jeetendr Sehdev has become one of the most prominent figures in celebrity news. Providing his book, “The Kim Kardashian Principle.”
- WILLIAM RAST: A brand that has explored the dynamic between music and fashion since being found in 2005. Today William Rast represents timelessly edgy, the consumer who combines New York urban style with a southern flare.
- ELIZABETH ARDEN: Providing the Vitamin C Ceramide Capsules Radiance Renewal Serum that is 178X more potent than traditional Vitamin C to help visibly brighten skin, even tone and protect against premature ageing signs.
- REVLON ULTRA HD VINYL LIP POLISH: “Ultra HD Vinyl Lip Polish in Date Night – Slick lacquered lips in one swipe. Ultra HD Vinyl Lip PoliAsh delivers a high-shine, high-pigment finish that isn’t sticky like a traditional gloss. Infused with Vitamin E, Shea Butter and Aloe-Leaf extract
- PULBROOK AND GOULD: Known as one of the most creative and respected interior designers and architects in the business – Pulbrook and Gould offer 25% discount on their services in this year’s Goody Bag.
- JOE & SEPH’S: Joe & Seph’s, the award-winning, gourmet popcorn pioneers, are excited to be giving all those backstage at the MTV EMA’s 2019 the opportunity to taste their innovative handmade gourmet popcorn!
- OMBAR: Vegan and organic raw chocolate, made in the UK using only the finest Ecuadorian cacao. Ombar delivers a deliciously unique flavour and choc-full of all of the health-giving goodness that nature intended.
- EAT REAL: Eat Real’s plant-based snacks are the perfect choice for anyone seeking a healthier alternative to traditional crisps. Big on taste, texture AND crunch, they’re made with all-natural ingredients and are free from all the major allergens including gluten, soya and dairy.
- HIPPEAS: HIPPEAS: Organic Chickpea Puffs are made from the humble, but mighty legume baked into a light and crunchy puff. HIPPEAS are totally organic, gluten-free, vegan friendly and less the 90 calories per single-serve pack.
- OATLY: Oatly is an independent company, dedicated to upgrading the lives of individuals and the general well being of the planet through a lineup of original oat drinks. Providing oatmilk.
- UGLY: Ugly is providing its sparkling water with real fruit flavor. No sugar. No sweetener.
- PSYC DRINKS: Made by Dj’s for Dj’s! Psyc is a natural cognitive enhancing, lightly sparkling guayusa tea, providing unparalleled mental clarity and uplift!
- PUERTO DE INDIAS: The Sevillian gin brand Puerto de Indias, ninth in the classification of consumption of gins worldwide, is providing its premium Spanish gin.
The 2019 MTV EMA Backstage Artist Lounge will include:
- RAYMOND WEIL: The music-inspired watchmaker will be taking over the backstage area. On-hand will be their expert watchmakers and sizing artists with exclusive pieces from their premier collection.
- BOSE: Bose are delighted to showcase their latest range of Soundlink Bluetooth speakers and Quiet Comfort headphones.
- ISAWITFIRST.COM: The go-to for the newest in fashion trends straight off Instagram and the catwalk.
- MAUI JIM: What sets Maui Jim apart from other brands is our unique ability to combine industry-leading technology, the culture and spirit of Hawaii, and all the benefits of an independently owned business. Maui Jim will be backstage fitting stars with sunglasses from their latest collection.
- BEE INSPIRED: Bee Inspired is an award winning, global streetwear brand based in the United Kingdom with a dedication to blending the world of sportswear with the freshest styles. The Bee Inspired team will be backstage, fitting stars with the latest from their menswear collection.
- FOREO: The Swedish company known for techno beauty devices will have a full-on Experience Zone, allowing VIPs to test their facial cleansing brushes, sonic electric toothbrushes and more.
- THRILL EVENTS: Thrill Events are delighted to return to the MTV EMA to decorate the Green Room and Artist Dressing Rooms in their unique style.
The 2019 MTV EMAs will be jam packed with epic live performances. MTV EMA host and superstar Becky G will perform to fans worldwide after the release of her highly anticipated first album Mala Santa.
Additional MTV EMA show performances include Akon, Ava Max, Dua Lipa, Green Day, Halsey, Mabel, NCT 127, Niall Horan and Rosalia. Additionally, Sofia Reyes with Jhay Cortez and Pabllo Vittar and will treat fans to performances during the Red Carpet Pre-Show.
MTV will honor megastar Liam Gallagher with the first-ever “Rock Icon” award. Throughout the show, fans can expect special appearances by Abraham Mateo, Doutzen Kroes, Georgina Rodriguez, Joan Smalls, Johnny Orlando, Leomie Anderson andTerry Crews.
The 2019 MTV EMAs, one of the biggest global music events of the year that celebrates the hottest artists from around the world, will broadcast to MTV channels globally on Sunday, 3 November from FIBES, Conference & Exhibition Centre of Seville, Spain.
Voting is still open at mtvema.com until 2 November at 23:59 CAT.
Watch the 2019 MTV EMAs broadcast in partnership with Impulse #OwnYourThrone, onMTV Africa (DStv channel 130) on Sunday, 3 November from 21:00 CAT.
The 2019 MTV EMA Red Carpet is sponsored by the upcoming film, “Charlie’s Angels.”
For more information on the 2019 MTV EMAs visit www.mtv.co.za or www.mtvbase.com and press.mtvema.com like us on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/MTVza, follow us on Twitter and Instagram @MTVAfrica and @MTVBaseSouth. Join the conversation using the hashtag #MTVEMA.
The big game of love continues this week as Eython Phillips searches for his suitor on M-Net’s Finding The One
The twenty-seven-year-old singleton is from the little community of Kraaifontein in the Western Cape and is a part-time rapper and full-time real estate agent by profession.
After a painful break-up less than a year ago, Eython is now ready to settle down and find genuine love. To do this, he entrusts the job of finding him the one to his adoring family and best friend. First up is his brother from another mother, Dean Jurgens (31) who knows exactly what Eython’s type is, followed by Liezel Phillips (46) his mom, who wants Eython to settle down with a nice young lady so that she can have some grandbabies and finally Keana Phillips (20), Eython’s sister who believes that she knows what will be good for him as well as the family.
Eython’s mom along with Dean, take the selected candidates on a group date, to suss out who’s got the potential to take care of her son, while Keana and Eython have fun exploring the girls’ homes. Will Eython’s family find him what he is looking for and renew his faith in love? Tune in to find out!
Finding The One will be screened on M-Net 101 every Sunday at 18:00 from 6 October 2019. It will also be available on DStv CatchUp. Fans can visit www.mnet.tv/findingtheone and follow all the breaking news and conversations around the show on Twitter @MNet & Instagram @Mnettv / #FindingTheOne and on the official M-Net Facebook page .
Finding The One is produced by Okuhle Media.