Follies: Another exclusive production from Ster-Kinekor Cinema Nouveau
from 17 February 2018
Follies is a classic but rarely-performed musical by Stephen Sondheim, writer of many famous musicals including Sweeney Todd and A Little Night Music. This legendary musical is staged for the first time at the National Theatre and broadcast live to cinemas and will show exclusively at Ster-Kinekor Cinema Nouveau nationwide from Saturday, 17 February 2018 for four screenings only.
New York, 1971. There’s a party on the stage of the Weismann Theatre. Tomorrow the iconic building will be demolished. Thirty years after their final performance, the Follies girls gather to have a few drinks, sing a few songs and lie about themselves.
Tracie Bennett, Janie Dee and Imelda Staunton play the magnificent Follies in this dazzling new production. Featuring a cast of 37 and an orchestra of 21, it’s directed by Dominic Cooke (The Comedy of Errors). Winner of Academy, Tony, Grammy and Olivier awards, Sondheim’s previous work includes A Little Night Music, Sweeney Todd and Sunday in the Park with George.
Beautifully staged – The show captures the glamour of the golden age of music halls and revues, with gorgeous showgirl costumes bedazzled with Swarovski crystals.
Follies will be broadcast live at the following Ster-Kinekor sites on 17, 18, 21 & 22 February 2018. The running time is 180minutes.
- Cinema Nouveau Rosebank (Johannesburg)
- Cinema Nouveau Gateway (Durban)
- Cinema Nouveau Brooklyn (Pretoria)
- Cinema Nouveau V & A Waterfront (Cape Town)
Upcoming National Theatre Live screenings at Ster-Kinekor Nouveau include:
- Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (31 March): Following his smash hit production of A Streetcar Named Desire, Benedict Andrews’ ‘thrilling revival’ (New York Times) stars Sienna Miller alongside Jack O’Connell and Colm Meaney in Tennessee Williams’ twentieth century masterpiece.
- Julius Caesar (21 April): Ben Whishaw (The Danish Girl, Skyfall, Hamlet) and Michelle Fairley (Fortitude, Game of Thrones) play Brutus and Cassius, David Calder (The Lost City of Z, The Hatton Garden Job) plays Caesar and David Morrissey (The Missing, Hangmen, The Walking Dead) is Mark Antony. Broadcast live from the Bridge Theatre, London, Nicholas Hytner’s production will thrust the audience into the heart of the action.
Remember you can always keep track your upcoming favourite Nouveau Titles here.
For booking information on Follies visit www.sterkinekor.com and the Ster-Kinekor App. Follow us on Twitter @nouveaubuzz and on Facebook at Cinema Nouveau. For queries, contact Ticketline on 0861 Movies (668 437).
The discounts and benefits valid for members of SK Club, Discovery Vitality and Edgars Club loyalty programmes also apply for all live theatre productions. Special prices for group bookings are also available on request.