May 4th is a day Star Wars fans have chosen to celebrate and honor all-things-Star-Wars, be it by posting Star Wars related content to social media, hosting Star Wars screening parties, wearing Star Wars costumes and clothing, or shopping for Star Wars merchandise.
Why May 4th? Because, as it happens, fans invented a clever turn of phrase based on the classic Star Wars slogan “May the Force Be With You” back in 1978: “May the FOURTH Be With You”. While originally invoked among US fans as a Fourth of July greeting, it was reset to May 4th the following year when a full-page ad appeared in the May 4, 1979 issue of The London Evening News to congratulate British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher on her taking office that day: “May the Fourth Be With You, Maggie. Congratulations!”
Since then, and especially in recent years, Star Wars fans have claimed May 4th as their day, a day that has also given Lucasfilm an opportunity to give back to the Star Wars community that honors that galaxy far, far away.
Since 2012, Lucasfilm has encouraged May the 4th activities through its official website and social channels as well as provided built-in discounts and special offers on Star Wars merchandise. And since “May the 4th Be With You” doesn’t carry the same witty punch when translated into other languages, “Star Wars Day” has been adopted to establish a global meaning for this annual worldwide celebration.
For more information on the history of Star Wars Day, check out this article on StarWars.com: www.starwars.com/news/gearing-up-for-may-the-4th-and-with-good-reason and log on to www.starwars.com/may-the-4th for the official May the 4th hub.
So how will you be celebrating May 4th?
- Takealot.com is celebrating May the 4th: For today only, all the movies and must-have memorabilia from your favourite intergalactic heroes, will be available at special prices
- Check out: www.takealot.com/deals/jedi
Top 10 Ways To Celebrate Star Wars Day
- What’s your favorite Rey or Jyn move? Be sure to Tweet your photos to @starwars and let us know how your celebrating, hashtag #StarWarsDay
- You know that First Order symbol tattoo you’ve been thinking about getting? Today’s the day.
- Dressing up for special occasions is important, and May the 4th is no different. Wearing anything from your favorite Star Wars shirt to full-on Stormtrooper gear is completely acceptable. (It’s okay to dress up your pet, too. Bounty hunter bulldogs are especially encouraged.)
- Have a Star Wars movie marathon with friends and family! But which movie do you begin with? Do you start with the prequels, the original trilogy or The Force Awakens? When do you watch Rogue One? Do you mix in some episodes of The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels? Better decide before your guests arrive, or you may spend the day in a heated debate.
- Food is an essential part of any holiday. Treat your school or work friends to a fresh batch of Wookiee Cookies or Death Star Cake Pops. Find a variety of recipes on StarWars.com!
- Are you a gamer? Hop online with your friends via Star Wars Battlefront or invite them over for some classic board game action!
- Feel the Force with Star Wars crafts: turn clay into an awesome Star Wars keepsake! Learn how to make Clay Yoda, Star Wars Bookmark, and more at StarWars.com!
- Sometimes people use holidays to travel to new places. Why not go to Disneyland or Disney World and ride Star Tours? There are over 50 separate mission possibilities…how many rides can you fit into a day at the park?
- As Yoda said, “Pass on what you have learned.” Introduce a younger sibling, family member, or friend to Star Wars!
- Do you have any Star Wars toys that you don’t need any more? Donate them and make May the 4th really memorable for children in need.
And here are 5 new ideas: www.starwars.com/news/5-new-ways-to-celebrate-star-wars-day
Star Wars Quiz
Easy/Kids Star Wars Trivia Questions
What is the name of Han Solo’s ship?
Answer: Millennium Falcon
What is the weapon used by Jedi Knights?
Which young Jedi Knight becomes Darth Vader in Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith?
Answer: Anakin Skywalker
What Jedi Master spent 800 years training such pupils as Qui-Gon Jinn Obi-Wan Kenobi, Count Dooku and Luke Skywalker?
What Wookiee is Han Solo’s loyal friend and first mate?
Who is Luke and Leia’s mother?
Answer: Padmé Amidala
How many members are there in the Jedi Council?
Why didn’t Yoda say he didn’t want to train Luke Skywalker?
Answer: because he lacked patience
In the Star Wars film, what invisible power binds the galaxy together?
Answer: The Force
Who are the masters of the Dark Side who want to rule the galaxy?
Answer: The Sith
General Star Wars Trivia Quiz
What were the last words spoken in The Empire Strikes Back?
Answer: “May the Force be with you.”
What animals did the visual effects crew study when designing the Imperial Walkers from The Empire Strikes Back?
Which country was the home base for principal photography on Revenge of the Sith?
Which Star Wars movie was the first to be shot entirely with high-definition cameras, without using traditional 35-millimeter film?
Answer: Attack of the Clones
What U.S. magazine declared Star Wars “the year’s best movie” in its May 30, 1977, issue?
Which star of Revenge of the Sith is the real-life nephew of Denis Lawson, who played Wedge in the first Star Wars Trilogy?
Answer: Ewan McGregor
According to Star Wars legend, what substance powers lightsabers?
Answer: Ilum crystals
How much does the Chewbacca costume weigh?
Answer: 8 pounds (3.6 kilograms, ½ stone)
Yoda did not make an appearance in only one of the six Star Wars movies. Which one?
Answer: Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
What famous scientist was the inspiration for creature designer Stuart Freeborn when creating Yoda’s eyes?
Answer: Albert Einstein
Padmé Amidala is first queen of, and then the senator from, what peaceful planet?
Difficult Star Wars Trivia
What Ewok medicine man presided over the attempt to make a roast of Han Solo in Return of the Jedi?
Lando Clarissian’s operation on Cloud City mines what type of gas?
Answer: Tibanna gas
The Empire attacked the Rebel base on Hoth with four-legged Imperial Walkers, or AT-ATs. What does AT-AT stand for?
Answer: All Terrain-Armored Transport
What planet is home to Chewbacca and the Wookiees?
What is the species of the diminutive workers on Cloud City who helped freeze Han Solo in carbonite?
What type of battle armor does Boba Fett wear?
Han Solo upgraded his beloved Millennium Falcon from which stock starship?
Answer: The YT-1300 stock light freighter
What color is Yoda’s lightsaber in Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith?
Complete this line from A New Hope: “The ____________ Wastes are not to be traveled lightly.”
Who preceded Senator Palpatine as Chancellor of the Galactic Senate?
Answer: Chancellor Valorum
How many engines are on an X-wing fighter?
Bail Organa is Princess Leia’s adoptive father. What is her adoptive mother’s name?
Answer: Queen Breha Organa
Whether your skills are of a Padawan or a Jedi level, get your friends together and test your Star Wars knowledge
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
During Star Wars Celebration last month, the Star Wars: The Last Jedi panel brought the whole cast together to reveal the first teaser trailer for the film that will release on December 15, 2017! Relive the excitement by visiting YouTube to see the trailer. See highlights of the panel on StarWars.com.
Disney XD Celebrates May the 4th!
Tune in to Disney XD (DStv, Channel 304) tonight, Thursday 4 May from 18:10 and enjoy back-to-back episodes of the hilarious animated series Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures after the adventure and action-filled television special, Phineas and Ferb: Star Wars. The story is set a couple summers ago in a galaxy far, far away when Phineas, Ferb and the gang are in a parallel universe – during Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. Iconic Star Wars characters Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, Han Solo, Princess Leia, Chewbacca, C-3PO and R2-D2 are featured in this special programming event
And don’t miss out this weekend as Star Wars Rebels Season 3 continues with a brand new episode on Saturday at 18:10.
Star Wars Reviews
The Force And The Fury
So join in the celebrations and let us know how you will be celebrating International Star Wars Day this year by using the #StarWarsDay or #Maythe4thBeWithYou hashtags.
May the 4th be With You!